The Evil Dead 4K Blu-ray Reverted Back to Theatrical Print

kt7000

S-Mart Clerk
I've recently heard that for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release of The Evil Dead, most of the digital corrections that were made to the 1080p HD Blu-ray were reverted back to the way they appear in the original Theatrical print

Like the cameraman's reflection appearing in the window, unsmoothing the jump cut from when Ash moves the dresser to the door, etc. But that the shot of Rob Tapert standing in the background still remains to be restored.

Is this true? If so, is the Rob Tapert shot the only one that was left in?

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I've recently heard that for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release of The Evil Dead, most of the digital corrections that were made to the 1080p HD Blu-ray were reverted back to the way they appear in the original Theatrical print

Like the cameraman's reflection appearing in the window, unsmoothing the jump cut from when Ash moves the dresser to the door, etc. But that the shot of Rob Tapert standing in the background still remains to be restored.

Is this true? If so, is the Rob Tapert shot the only one that was left in?
I'll send a pm to the creator on this (who also mods here) so he should be able to answer you. His work's absolutely stunning.

kt7000

S-Mart Clerk
In short, only 7 of the long list of tweaks were revered, but if you look at the following page;

and expand the "The Evil Dead US 35mm Open-Matte Restored 5K Scan" section, you can see a list of what was and wasn't reverted.

01:04:56:14 to 01:04:59:07 - Necklace close-up; Hand-held shot digitally steadied (reverted)

I didn't know that this change had been done for the 1080p HD Blu-ray. Were there any other digital corrections that aren't mentioned here?

Last edited:

kt7000

S-Mart Clerk
Was the last shot of the Deadite force attacking Ash digitally steadied for the Blu-ray?

Greendrake

Primitive Screwhead
Hello everyone, guess this is the right place to ask the following.

I am on the hunt for the most accurate and hi-res scan/restoration of the The Evil Dead (1981).

Ideally, it needs to be:
— 4K (or higher) scan of the original film. Definitely not an upscale.
— Not cropped (wondering what the aspect ratio of this is?)
— No or minimum digital corrections
— The most extended cut (in case there were more than one)
— Preferably with no framerate interpolation. That said, each frame in the video stream must be a frame from the original film. I still see PAL/NTSC versions even of 4K releases, that's why this is a consideration.

I see several 4K Blurays on the market, and not sure which of them, if any, satisfies the above conditions to what extent:

B07G1Q74HP October 9, 2018
B08FF99LB1 16 November 2020
B098GT2W8W 27 October 2021
B0BCHVL4Z5 November 1, 2022
B08NK9F5YB

Can someone provide some insights please?

Last edited:

Greendrake

Primitive Screwhead
So, I've got the B098GT2W8W (barcode 9317731165351).

On the 4K version, Robert Tapert appears edited out, but not completely: the legs are still visible :D

HCOkPeV.jpg

Wondering if the rest of 4K releases are the same.

kt7000

S-Mart Clerk
On the 4K version, Robert Tapert appears edited out, but not completely: the legs are still visible :D

HCOkPeV.jpg

Wondering if the rest of 4K releases are the same.
I would've never noticed that. For the 4K release, there's only the Lionsgate and the Sony Blu-rays.

I prefer the latter because the grain structure looks more detailed https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=3&x=643&y=332&d1=12454&d2=15925&s1=123649&s2=168912&l=0&i=1&go=1

Last edited:

Greendrake

Primitive Screwhead
For the 4K release, there's only the Lionsgate and the Sony Blu-rays
Well, the one I've got is a weird one. It looks like Australian Sony (released by Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Australia Pty Ltd) but... the first thing you see when playing the 4K video is the Lionsgate animated logo.
In 2021, why would Australian Sony put a Lionsgate 4K on its release if they supposed to have their own 4K?

I prefer the latter because the grain structure looks more detailed
Hmm.. Looking at the link I would say that the Lionsgate version is a bit more detailed. Compare:

Lionsgate:
HCe65Ij.png

Sony:
HCePUKB.png

kt7000

S-Mart Clerk
Another thing I wanted to point out is that the opening title credits on the Blu-ray are a digital recreation and not the original from the theatrical print.

Last edited:
Top Bottom