Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Wait, Evil Dead Rise is "somewhat linked" to the Evil Dead remake? How so? Did I miss a hint or some announcement?

No, like I said in my previous post, it's only temporary. If Ash or any other characters from the Trilogy/TV series appears in the new movie (which I highly doubt), there is no need to link it with The Evil Dead (1982), so, for now, I link it with the newest iteration (remake).

DyD

Spinach Chin
No, like I said in my previous post, it's only temporary. If Ash or any other characters from the Trilogy/TV series appears in the new movie (which I highly doubt), there is no need to link it with The Evil Dead (1982), so, for now, I link it with the newest iteration (remake).

Oh god, that's embarassing. Sorry, mate. That's what I get for replying without paying attention. I just immediately opened up the image when I saw the post and impulsively commented after seeing the dotted line connection between the two movies. Should've definitely read the rest of your post before replying. Again, my bad.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
A fan saw a pre-order listing for new AOD comic called "The Army of Darkness 1979" due out September 8th on Comixology today:

OI2CyYk.jpg

No announcements or details are available yet.

I'm usually not into all theses comics spin off, but I like the idea to keep the Evil Dead universe into the late 70/ mid-80'....They should definitively go that way with Evil Dead Rise...(I don't think this will ever happens)

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
I'm usually not into all theses comics spin off, but I like the idea to keep the Evil Dead universe into the late 70/ mid-80'....They should definitively go that way with Evil Dead Rise...(I don't think this will ever happens)

A new movie set in the 1980's (or 1970's) would be great, but I'm guessing it's impacting the budget a lot when they re-create a past era. I wanted a prequel for years and somehow got it with the season 2 of Ash vs Evil Dead. Now, I wish they could do another movie set in the middle-ages, or even further back, depicting the events of the creation of the Necronomicon (with Lucy Lawless in the main role). One can only dream!

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I'm interested in seeing where Dynamite takes the series (And I keep hoping we'll hit on a comics reboot that sticks).

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Great find, Morsoth! The panel art looks really nice this time out.

And here's some covers for the fourth issue of Die!Namite; eta - artists are Lucio Parrillo and Arthur Suydam, respectively.

EVIL SONJA and her SUPER-ZOMBIES want to access America's nuclear arsenal. All that stands in Sonja's way are the ragtag team of Vampirella, Ash from Army Of Darkness, and Jennifer Blood. In this issue, many, many (MOST) things explode. By FRED VAN LENTE (Marvel Zombies) and VINCENZO CARRATU (Zorro)!

DienamiteLives0404011AParrillo.jpg

DienamiteLives0404021BSuydam.jpg

Issue streets September 22nd.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Let us know what you thought of them!

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
October Solicits for AOD: 1979 and the last issue of Die!Namite Lives:

The superstar creator of the hit Image Comics series Killadelphia brings his supernatural horror chops to one of the genre's most (in)famous characters. Ashley Joanna Williams finds himself this time in late 70s New York City. In a less cleaned up era, that means gangs tussle for every block in the South Bronx. And these particular gangs model themselves after zombies and vampires. Things only get even more out of control when they find the one and only Necronomicon!
Barnes is joined in this horror flashback romp by artist Tom Garcia (Pathfinder, Hellraiser), colorist Dinei Ribero, and letterer Troy Peteri. This crew assembles together to guide Ash through his latest comedy horror adventure. But will he or even the creative team survive the journey..?

With his background as a screenwriter and producer in Hollywood, Barnes has contributed to The Boondocks, My Wife and Kids, Everbody Hates Chris, Marvel's Runaways, American Gods, and is currently an executive producer/writer on HBO's untitled drama following the 1980s "Showtime" Los Angeles Lakers. With his love of film and 1970s culture, Barnes is pulling from cult classics like The Warriors on this Army of Darkness tale. Within comics, Barnes is the creator of the Eisner Award-nominated Killadelphia, and has written Falcon and Lando (Star Wars) for Marvel.

Featuring an awesome array of cover artists, including the Dynamite return of Francesco Mattina, along with Junggeun Yoon, and Stuart Sayger and the Zombie King himself -- Arthur Suydam!

Streets October 13th. Covers in order: Francesco Mattina, Arthur Suydam, Junggeun Yoon, Stuart Sayger. All available in black and white and virgin variants as well.

AOD19790202011AMattina.jpg

AOD19790202021BSuydam.jpg

AOD19790202031CYoon.jpg

AOD19790202041DSayger.jpg

Just one Ash-related cover, from Suydam again, natch.

Vampirella. Evil Sonja. Ash of Army Of Darkness. Pantha. Project: Superpowers. Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt. Jennifer Blood. Smiley. Frankenstein monsters. ONE...WILL...DIE! Or...SOME...WILL...DIE! Or...ALL...WILL...DIE! (zombie stories make it hard to tell who's died, but trust us, it's gonna be somebody!)

Streets on October 27th.

DienamiteLives0505021BSuydam.jpg

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Oh my God, the Village People parody cover, I need it.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member

NotADeadite

Primitive Screwhead
With the permission of all mods, I'm opening a new thread for discussing the ongoing Dynamite Comics run!

Here's the cover of the next issue of the Hail to the Queen arc:

AOD13CovLeisterRevised.jpg

I'm currently two issues behind, so I'll just give my thoughts on the arc really quickly, then open the floor to debate: Spoilers for issues 1-8 under here:

I was really, really excited for this arc, and the first three issues kept me going: who wouldn't want to watch Ash kill Deadite Nazis in Brazil with his female counterpart from another world. I loved the execution and idea behind Ashley K Williams and what they did with her.

Buuut the last three or so issues have lost their way a bit, starting with a confusing split in which Ashley K. kills an alternate version of Ash in an alternate version of Kandarian hell. This is apparently the version of Ash who resides in the Regeneration video game, judging from the existence of Sam the Deadite as his sidekick. That sends us into what I think's been the best part of the storyline thus far: a trip into Ash's adolescence, where we find out he and Linda were junior high school sweethearts and he had no idea how to ask her out on a date.

Apparently, the "Ash Prime" of the storyline's the one who was tossed into 70's Japan, then back home again, after taking a side-trip to the Prohibition era. I liked this little fill-in on Ash and Cheryl's grandpa here: they're descended from a G-Man, and Ash is, in a way, named after him (the J stands for James). I'm looking forward to seeing how they're gonna wrap this up, and I hope they can recover from their missteps.

Also upcoming: Army of Darkness vs Hack/Slash, where Ash teams up with Cassie Hack to kill demons. Whoever did the variant covers has a fondness for comic art:

TNAODHS01CovSubscription.jpg

TNAODHS02CovSubscriptionHaese.jpg

AODHS03CovHaeser.jpg

Love the cover arts!

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
I recently came across this variant cover for issue #2 of Army of Darkness 1979:

aod_1979_02e.jpg

LOL!

Last edited:

Deadtwelve

Primitive Screwhead
Hi guys, please forgive my ignorance I'm completely new here, I just made an account 5 minutes ago. I'm hoping someone can help me I'm trying to collect all of the army of darkness comics and all official lists I can find online list "volume 3" as "untitled story" that's 13 issues long. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether these issues were ever released as a graphic novel or otherwise collected edition? Thanks :)

Top Bottom