Evil Dead References

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
I've read the 12-volumes manga series School-Live! (Gakkou Gurashi!) over the weekend, a story focusing on young girls surviving together during a zombie apocalypse. In the Volume 6 (Chapter 31), the girls leaves the school and find refuge in a very familiar store! Here, the store has been renamed "G-Mart", but the series rename all the famous locations or brands (probably to avoid troubles).

51jeEXz+vDL.jpg

HP9GQ9m.jpg

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Another reference found in a comic. In Afterlife with Archie #1, Sabrina takes the Necronomicon to reanimate Jughead's dead dog. The Necronomicon from the story is more linked with the Lovecraft/Cthulhu Mythos, however, they used the incantation from The Evil Dead:

JOGzxuw.png

Hurley

Spinach Chin
So this is probably a weird stretch but the British journalist Adam Curtis recently made a new documentary miniseries for the BBC called Can't Get You Out Of My Head. In his work, Curtis often uses horror music to underline some of the more disturbing things he's talking about. Over the past several years I noticed that for example he often uses the Ennio Morricone's score for The Thing. But with Can't Get You Out Of My Head, multiple times in each of the six episodes, he uses bits and pieces from the original Joe LoDuca's score for the first Evil Dead movie. And it's kinda interesting to hear this music in the new context, though at the same time it's really distracting because I know that music like the back of my hand. So it's not an Evil Dead reference per say, but I think it's at least a neat piece of trivia.

Godzilla

S-Mart Clerk

The episode "Grave Sights" of Regular show has the two main characters hosting a scary movie night at the park they work at. The movie they choose being an Italian cult classic with zombies is a shout out to Zombi 2, but the hero of the film is very obviously modeled after Ash Williams. No chainsaw hand, but he looks exactly like Ash and spends all his screen time kicking undead ass and making cheesy one liners.

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
Patton Oswalt on Conan, discussing the merits of hand made films versus potential AI generated films

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Patton Oswalt on Conan, discussing the merits of hand made films versus potential AI generated films

Nice. Patton Oswalt has remembered almost word for word the late 80's Jonathon Ross/Sam Raimi interview on 'The Incredibly Strange Film Show'.

MCT28

S-Mart Clerk
One of the recent episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants titled Necro-Nom-Nom-Nom-I-Con features a Necronomicon clearly based on the Evil Dead II design. Mistaken for a breakfast cookbook, the Necronomicon begins to turn the hungry customers of the Krusty Krab into breakfast food monsters before the book becomes it's own living food behemoth.
1H2dALp.jpeg
VUnYgqE.png
FoImvEP.png

MCT28

S-Mart Clerk
One of the recent episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants titled Necro-Nom-Nom-Nom-I-Con features a Necronomicon clearly based on the Evil Dead II design. Mistaken for a breakfast cookbook, the Necronomicon begins to turn the hungry customers of the Krusty Krab into breakfast food monsters before the book becomes it's own living food behemoth.
1H2dALp.jpeg
VUnYgqE.png
FoImvEP.png
Also it's apparently not the first time a recent SpongeBob has used the Necronomicon. A 2019 episode called Senior Discount has the "Book of the Filleted".
WNnlyCT.jpg

Top Bottom