Evil Dead remake revisited ..

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Actually that's inacurate. Lily turned the part down to do Mirror Mirror, not because the script freaked her out. Not the wisest choice, but to be fair aside from Don't Breathe and her small part in Twin Peaks Jane's post-ED career hadn't been great shakes (Monster Trucks was supposed to be her big break-out-of-the-genre role and it did not go well).

(Also Jane had multiple on-set freak-outs and breakdowns and Fede's crappy use of the blood effects gave her a severe middle ear infection. And I don't blame her for that, I blame Fede's inexperience as a director.)

I'm glad they went with Jane because she's a natural for the part!

Last edited:

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Actually that's inacurate. Lily turned the part down to do Mirror Mirror, not because the script freaked her out. Not the wisest choice, but to be fair aside from Don't Breathe and her small part in Twin Peaks Jane's post-ED career hadn't been great shakes (Monster Trucks was supposed to be her big break-out-of-the-genre role and it did not go well).

(Also Jane had multiple on-set freak-outs and breakdowns and Fede's crappy use of the blood effects gave her a severe middle ear infection)

I'm glad they went with Jane because she's a natural for the part!
Thanks, although I'd read differently on the reason for Lily's refusal but I can't back that up sorry because I've 'misplaced' that stuff .. so I'll go with your version until I can re find it .. I agree Jane was great as Mia, her sardonic performance was awesome .... twitchy junkie in forced recovery who has to end up being the hero last survivor through Fede's script. Fede (and his co writer/best friend who's name I'm forgotten) did a good job/remained faithful IMO on creating another weak loser type who survived after Bruce's original portrayal in that same role IMO.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Lily Collins just backed out of Evil Dead 2013 because of the dreaded scheduling conflict, and I really haven't seen her in anything else since... but she will be playing J.R.R. Tolkien's wife Edith in an upcoming biopic of his life. As a reader of Tolkien I'm not sure what to think about that move. It seemed like Jane Levy on the other hand was set to be a breakout star after playing Mia, but when you make a movie about a monster truck with a monster inside along side Barry Pepper (Battlefield Earth) it makes you question things. No offense to Jane.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Because I forgot to do so - the press announcement for her leaving the project lists scheduling issues.

Heh jinx @Nick el Ass !

It seemed like Jane Levy on the other hand was set to be a breakout star after playing Mia, but when you make a movie about a monster truck with a monster inside along side Barry Pepper (Battlefield Earth) it makes you question things. No offense to Jane.

The thing that's always frustrated me RE Jane is that she has MASSIVE chops. She definitely could make it as a major mainstream actresses, but all of her indy pictures are amazing (Seriously, if any of you like David Lynch and/or 60's Musicals, watch Bang Bang Baby) while her mainstream role choices have been terrible (Monster Trucks, as Nick mentioned above; the best 'big' things she's done outside of Fede's wheelhouse is Suburgatory, which was actually a wonderful sitcom while it lasted). She could and should be doing Emma Stone level-stuff.

I just hope she gets more roles and doesn't get stuck being Fede's redhead, so to speak.

Last edited:

Panos

S-Mart Clerk
And to think Mia was nearly played instead by actor Lilly Collins, daughter of Phil Collins of 80's fame who took over the lead singer role for the band 'Genesis' from Peter Gabriel. As I remember it, Lilly had got the job but freaked out over what she was going to have to do in the script somehow .. LOL .. Lilly Allen's a lightweight ..

Actually that's inacurate. Lily turned the part down to do Mirror Mirror, not because the script freaked her out.

Well according to Fede that was actually the reason Lilly turned down the role

The thing that's always frustrated me RE Jane is that she has MASSIVE chops. She definitely could make it as a major mainstream actresses, but all of her indy pictures are amazing (Seriously, if any of you like David Lynch and/or 60's Musicals, watch Bang Bang Baby) while her mainstream role choices have been terrible (Monster Trucks, as Nick mentioned above; the best 'big' things she's done outside of Fede's wheelhouse is Suburgatory, which was actually a wonderful sitcom while it lasted). She could and should be doing Emma Stone level-stuff.

I just hope she gets more roles and doesn't get stuck being Fede's redhead, so to speak.

Definitely agree with that , im surprised as to why Jane has not gotten many more mainstream movie roles as i definitely think she is extremely talented. I see her pop up in great indie films here and there. "I Dont want to live in this world anymore" which i loved she was in it along with Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood. And I was happy to see that she has a main starring role in Stephen King's "Castle Rock" thats coming on Hulu this summer. Which seems to be one of Hulu's biggest shows coming.

Don't know if her not being in many stuff means that she isnt interested in mainstream movies and just going with what she likes, or she just needs a better manager.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Hmm - I don't know at this point. Fede also made up a bunch of lies about the woods around the shoot being haunted and a hundred other things about how Ash relates to/was going to originally be in his remake. Unfortunately I trust him as far as I can throw him sometimes and am more apt to trust the press when he says things like this.

@Panos IDWTLITWA was excellent! I completely forgot she's in Castle Rock too.

Panos

S-Mart Clerk
Hmm - I don't know at this point. Fede also made up a bunch of lies about the woods around the shoot being haunted and a hundred other things about how Ash relates to/was going to originally be in his remake. Unfortunately I trust him as far as I can throw him sometimes and am more apt to trust the press when he says things like this.

Seems to be a pretty unnecessary lie for him to tell if thats the case. On the haunted woods thing they were actually shooting over a burial ground and i believe Fede was telling them about the urban myths that existed about those woods just to scare his actors more during shooting. Which i would do too honestly, i mean the setting is perfect. :p

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
True; I think it's quite possible he actually is telling the truth about Lily when considering the evidence (the timing is suspicious enough on further research). Fede just loves to spin legends about the movie - which again very much reminds me of Sam's techniques - which is why I tend to be reluctant to trust his word. I 100 percent believe his actors, though. Especially Jane, who was pretty brutally honest about how hard it all was.

I'm not 100 percent buying the 'haunted woods' story because they 100 percent filmed the movie on theRen Pictures lot in NZ and did ADR for it in CA after it was in the can. I think this included a neighboring lake and at least part of a forest that was planted there sometime around when they established their studio/lot, not including some work they did for the swollen river revelation in a public park they've also used for AvED. They planted the breakaway cabin on their own property and rolled it away when they were done, filming everything in order.

I'm pretty sure the whole forest story was hokum Fede made up to promo the movie AND scare the actors (again, I still feel bad for Jane when I remember this stuff); I know he repeated that story (and about Shiloh Fernandez seeing ghosts in the woods during a night shoot and being frightened) during a press tour AICN/Bloody Disgusting/Collider participated in. The problem was that the locations were also revealed during set tours and his story didn't match up. Anything that properly sells the movie; He has learned well from Sam :D

Last edited:

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
For anyone reading who doesn't already know this fun bullshit folklore, Sam Raimi created a great fake ghost story to explain why the cabin from the original film burned down not long after filming ..

The 'truth' is that some "local yahoos" burned it down not long after The Evil Dead wrapped ..

Sam's story instead was that the original cabin was built in the late 1800's. When the builder was placing the last brick on the top of the chimney, he was struck by lightning and killed which is/was why the chimney was always missing that last brick. After that, a young girl lived in the cabin with her grandparents. One dark and stormy night she went into their bedroom and found them both dead of natural causes .. she ran out into the woods and was rescued by some locals. Eventually she was sectioned as a mental health patient nearby, but, as an old woman and every time there was a dark and stormy night, she'd return to the woods and the cabin area looking for her dead Grandparents. Sam went as far as saying he'd been told that she might turn up during The Evil Dead shoot.

This is why Sam's 'The Boss' :cool:

... haunted Evil Dead location stories are nothing new, Fede was just paying homage to Sam's original prank ..

Last edited:

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
The slightly less romantic story behind the original film's cabin's construction has been fantastically researched and preserved by SeeNoEvil/EvilDeadChainsaws for his site, bookofthedead.com ..

"The cabin itself was built in the late 1960's by Thomas & his brother, to be used as a hunting cabin. It was originally smaller than was shown on screen, just being two rooms (basically what comprises the main room area in The Evil Dead), with no rear extension. The first room was for eating and sleeping, the side room was for hunting supplies & stretching furs. They also used it to brew corn liquor to sell to make it through the winter if trapping season wasn't too good.

Gary Holt arranged the lease of the cabin to Renaissance Pictures in November of 1979, the only stipulation being that they had to leave the cabin in the same condition they found it. By that point it was just used off season for hunting. Other than that, Thomas just saw it as some people working on his land, and then leaving before the following September. He never visited the production, and didn't really care about the film itself, he just wanted the money."

http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/the_evil_dead_locations.html

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Heh, fun!

Top Bottom