‘Evil Dead’: Sébastien Vaniček Directing an Official Spinoff Movie!

MCT28

Loud Mouth Braggart
The specific usage of "spinoff" makes me wonder what exactly they're spinning off of. Ash's universe? The 2013/Rise universe?

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
The specific usage of "spinoff" makes me wonder what exactly they're spinning off of. Ash's universe? The 2013/Rise universe?
I'm willing to bet it's still in the whole ED universe, but it's going to be a "one-shot" kind of story like Rise was so it can stand on it's own like how they did with Rise. Only connective tissue will probably be the book again.

MCT28

Loud Mouth Braggart
I'm willing to bet it's still in the whole ED universe, but it's going to be a "one-shot" kind of story like Rise was so it can stand on it's own like how they did with Rise. Only connective tissue will probably be the book again.
I actually wouldn't mind it being something like a live-action version of the Evil Dead 2: Tales of The Ex-Mortis comic.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky

Kelly and Ruby spinoff.

ruby-and-kelly-have-a-chat-ash-vs-evil-dead-s2e9

Beth and Kassie, or The Further Adventures of Kassie and Staffanie.

evil-dead-rise-beth-kassie-elevator-blood-scene.jpg

b739764ddbd4aa6cabca293bf5d706eb341c073f.gifv

K100

S-Mart Clerk
The film will be co written by Florent Bernard (aka Flober). He wrote and directed a lot of great stuff on youtube and he has a podcast called Floodcast. He was also the co writter of Vermines.
I have followed him for more than a decade now, I love his work and I would have never imagined that he would work on a new Evil Dead. This is crazy but I can tell you, the movie is in good hands !

DyD

Spinach Chin
Hopefully it's a new one-shot story unrelated to the previous films, and hopefully it's something actually a bit more fresh and inventive this time around rather than just more of the same ol' same ol'. As I've been repeating in here for a while now, my interest in more Evil Dead movies not written and directed by Sam Raimi is pretty minor, but it'd be practically non-existent for spin-offs of AvED, the remake or Evil Dead Rise.

As for the director, I'm taking your word that he's a good choice, as I took a look at what Infested is about and I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give it a pass. I can't handle that type of flick, spiders are my one weakness in film. Even Arachnophobia (1990) is a little too intense for me.

K100

S-Mart Clerk
New interview in french:

-He want to do HIS version of Evil Dead and work with his team. He compare his Evil Dead to James Cameron's Aliens "Relatively speaking and in all humility, I want to make a James Cameron-style move on Aliens. That is to say that we know that this Evil Dead is mine, that it bears my signature."
-Sam Raimi love his idea for the movie, and they have rejected other proposition from other directors.
-They had no scenario for him. "You know our universe and our specifications, what story would you imagine for Evil Dead?"
-The main character will be french, but he will speak english. Other characters will be American.

MCT28

Loud Mouth Braggart
Here's another french interview with Vaniček:

The highlights of this one are:
- The film is going to be a Warner/New Line/Ghost House production
-"I had an email from the producer who told me that Warner wanted to make a new 100% original Evil Dead, not related to the rest of the saga."
-"I told the studio that I wanted to make a nasty film, a film that hurts, from which you come away tested. I'm going to put all the horror I have inside, it will be cathartic, and if I haven't ruined my career and I can continue to make films behind it, I'll move on to something other than horror ! In any case, this film will feel like France, I will never let go of this country, I intend to bring it with me."
-"If all goes well, we could start filming at the end of 2024-beginning of 2025, for a release that I hope for Halloween 2025.”

DyD

Spinach Chin
-He want to do HIS version of Evil Dead and work with his team. He compare his Evil Dead to James Cameron's Aliens "Relatively speaking and in all humility, I want to make a James Cameron-style move on Aliens. That is to say that we know that this Evil Dead is mine, that it bears my signature."

Sounds good. I just hope he actually has a distinct signature that's considerably different from the past two ED movies and from what we've been getting on pretty much every modern horror film nowadays (and also that I'll like that signature, of course). I mean, it's kinda weird to be talking about auteurship and bringing a personal signature to a work-for-hire franchise film when you only have one feature in your resume.

-"I had an email from the producer who told me that Warner wanted to make a new 100% original Evil Dead, not related to the rest of the saga."

Cool. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

-"I told the studio that I wanted to make a nasty film, a film that hurts, from which you come away tested. I'm going to put all the horror I have inside, it will be cathartic, and if I haven't ruined my career and I can continue to make films behind it, I'll move on to something other than horror ! In any case, this film will feel like France, I will never let go of this country, I intend to bring it with me."

Eh, that I'm not so sure about... We've had this discussion here a little while ago, and I really disagree with this notion a lot of people seem to be operating on nowadays that the Evil Dead franchise is all about the violence and brutality. On every single new Evil Dead film they've made after Raimi -- the remake, Evil Dead Rise and now this one -- they keep going on and on about how the movie is gonna test audiences and push the envelope and all that talk just bores me to death, as I just don't believe that's what Evil Dead is supposed to be. While I do think the gruesomeness is an indelible aspect of the films, it's not what I'd call their most defining feature and it's certainly not what interests me the most in them. Also, I don't know what he means about the movie feeling french, but in combination with his comments on the tone he's going for, it makes me think of the new wave of extreme horror that came from France in the 2000s: Movies like "Martyrs", "Inside" and "Frontier(s)". The last thing I want is for an Evil Dead movie to feel like those (and honestly, the remake kinda already scratched that itch stylistically, so it wouldn't even be all that new to the franchise either).

Last edited:

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Hopefully it's a new one-shot story unrelated to the previous films, and hopefully it's something actually a bit more fresh and inventive this time around rather than just more of the same ol' same ol'. As I've been repeating in here for a while now, my interest in more Evil Dead movies not written and directed by Sam Raimi is pretty minor, but it'd be practically non-existent for spin-offs of AvED, the remake or Evil Dead Rise.

As for the director, I'm taking your word that he's a good choice, as I took a look at what Infested is about and I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give it a pass. I can't handle that type of flick, spiders are my one weakness in film. Even Arachnophobia (1990) is a little too intense for me.

Lee Cronin not being involved was a pretty good sign they were going in a different direction, but at some point a little continuity would go a long way... and I'd like to see a director return.

He want to do HIS version of Evil Dead and work with his team. He compare his Evil Dead to James Cameron's Aliens "Relatively speaking and in all humility, I want to make a James Cameron-style move on Aliens. That is to say that we know that this Evil Dead is mine, that it bears my signature."

Interesting choice of movies since Aliens is one of those increasingly rare sequels that is close in quality to the original.

MCT28

Loud Mouth Braggart
Lee Cronin not being involved was a pretty good sign they were going in a different direction, but at some point a little continuity would go a long way... and I'd like to see a director return.
They seem to be flip-flopping on what the series is going to be going forward. Back at SDCC 2022, Bruce said all the subsequent entries would operate on their own since "it's too much brain-power to connect them all."

Then, right before Rise came out, Bruce talked about Sam and Ivan working on the "Evil Dead Bible" that would have a bunch of story ideas and how to connect them, and they want stories that progress a little more. And now we find ourselves at the stage where Warner is asking for a movie that completely stands-alone, and is a 100% original story that didn't come from this "Evil Dead Bible".

DyD

Spinach Chin
but at some point a little continuity would go a long way... and I'd like to see a director return.

Eh, continuity is overrated and the only director I'd like to see return is Sam Raimi. Other than that I'd much prefer an anthology approach, with each new film being its own thing in terms of story, tone and style, and showcasing the work of a new young and promising horror filmmaker -- like Sam himself was when he made The Evil Dead. That's an "Evil Dead Legacy" type of thing I could actually stand behind.

Last edited:

DeathLivesAgain

Loud Mouth Braggart
Of course there will be an Evil Dead Bible it must adhere to. But that can be as simple as: There's a book that unleashes Evil and tests the mettle of Man.

They can just mean that there's no continuity needed as pertaining to characters returning.

They can also just throw in a bookend like Evil Dead Rise, where we see some kind of progression of the Evil getting out that ties back to that film.

None of this matters anyway, all I care about seeing is Ash Vs Evil Dead Season 4.

Shame that Evil Dead only caters to the widest audience possible (the kind of people that watch Evil Dead Rise and have no clue there was anything else Evil Dead) instead of just continuing the story with Bruce Campbell.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Of course there will be an Evil Dead Bible it must adhere to. But that can be as simple as: There's a book that unleashes Evil and tests the mettle of Man.

They can just mean that there's no continuity needed as pertaining to characters returning.

They can also just throw in a bookend like Evil Dead Rise, where we see some kind of progression of the Evil getting out that ties back to that film.

None of this matters anyway, all I care about seeing is Ash Vs Evil Dead Season 4.

Shame that Evil Dead only caters to the widest audience possible (the kind of people that watch Evil Dead Rise and have no clue there was anything else Evil Dead) instead of just continuing the story with Bruce Campbell.

I think they need more than a simple line in that Bible... With the AVED series come in mind, they should have created a detailed bible back in 2015.

I don't mind if there's no conitnuity as long as the story is solid. But they can do both...I mean the Evil Dead can strike anywhere, anytime.

Evil Dead Rise was ok but it was basically another remake. There was no real progression to the lore except a few interesting details.

I will only care for a new season or series if they rethink/overhaul the story and the characters. No way I want a "Ash vs the machines" with a space opera set-up as shown on the sketches for S4.... I would prefer a bloody Army of Darkness meet Madmax kind of follow up.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Evil Dead Rise was ok but it was basically another remake.

Yup, and that's what I was talking about above when I said I hope this new film isn't just more of the same. I don't want them to basically just remake the original Evil Dead for the third time in a row.

I will only care for a new season or series if they rethink/overhaul the story and the characters. No way I want a "Ash vs the machines" with a space opera set-up as shown on the sketches for S4.... I would prefer a bloody Army of Darkness meet Madmax kind of follow up.

I'm right there with you, but I think I'd only be truly excited about it if it was also Raimi writing and directing. That not being feasible, I'm honestly ready for the character of Ash to be retired for good and for the Evil Dead franchise to move beyond him.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I'm gonna be back officially over the weekend (I'm finally caught up on the AOD comic series!) but there is so much contradictory stuff coming out of the new guy so far. He says he wants to do a James Cameron Alien-style piece, which intimates that he's looking for more of an action/character popcorn populist piece. Then an interview later he's saying (honestly ridiculous) things like "THIS MOVIE WILL BE SO DISGUSTING I WILL NEVER HAVE A CAREER." Come on, dude, Sam made a romantic drama after doing vine rape, unless we're going in some kind of Salo/Human Centipede/Serbian Film direction here, get a grip. My least favorite phenmonena attached to the franchise's revival is directors trying to out-PT Barnum Bruce and Sam (I say this with love) in the press. That is again why I liked Lee's low-key approach so much. Is the "French Twist" making it like Haute Tension? Martyrs? Will this be the first Evil Dead film without likable protags?

Also his obvious eagerness to move on from horror and use this as a springboard (and nakedly saying so, versus Lee - who genuinely seems to love the genre - and Fede, who at least kept that ambition quiet until he failboated himself back to the genre) is not promising.

(I'm also with DYD in that people keep trying to outdo each other with ridiculous edgy violent Evil Dead stories - sure, an Evil Dead staple, sure, a part of its legacy - but not the sum total all of it. I, again, am crediting Lee for not making that a goal and continue to feel that that's why Rise is the best of the successor films thus far).

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I'm gonna be back officially over the weekend (I'm finally caught up on the AOD comic series!) but there is so much contradictory stuff coming out of the new guy so far. He says he wants to do a James Cameron Alien-style piece, which intimates that he's looking for more of an action/character popcorn populist piece. Then an interview later he's saying (honestly ridiculous) things like "THIS MOVIE WILL BE SO DISGUSTING I WILL NEVER HAVE A CAREER." Come on, dude, Sam made a romantic drama after doing vine rape, unless we're going in some kind of Salo/Human Centipede/Serbian Film direction here, get a grip. My least favorite phenmonena attached to the franchise's revival is directors trying to out-PT Barnum Bruce and Sam (I say this with love) in the press. That is again why I liked Lee's low-key approach so much. Is the "French Twist" making it like Haute Tension? Martyrs? Will this be the first Evil Dead film without likable protags?

Also his obvious eagerness to move on from horror and use this as a springboard (and nakedly saying so, versus Lee - who genuinely seems to love the genre - and Fede, who at least kept that ambition quiet until he failboated himself back to the genre) is not promising.

(I'm also with DYD in that people keep trying to outdo each other with ridiculous edgy violent Evil Dead stories - sure, an Evil Dead staple, sure, a part of its legacy - but not the sum total all of it. I, again, am crediting Lee for not making that a goal and continue to feel that that's why Rise is the best of the successor films thus far).

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole ruining of one's career... but if you really want to do that just follow Fede who has made a wrestling style heel turn by telling people his job is making movies that piss people off followed by being attached to every sequel including the Labyrinth that is in development hell for a long ass time.

Evil Dead Rise was ok but it was basically another remake. There was no real progression to the lore except a few interesting details.

Fede's movie was a remake in the truer sense that got toned down by Bruce, Sam, Rob who told Fede to do his own thing. It wasn't until the 9th anniversary tweet of the original ending that we knew the full scale including how Mia was originally supposed to walk out of the cabin fly up in the air and explode in a style not to different from Evil Ash in Army of Darkness when Ash launches him with the catapult.

FPsCjd3VIAEOnGr

Now he is oddly working on an Alien movie called Romulus which is a series that hasn't done well since Ridley Scott and James Cameron did Alien and Aliens, haha.

Fup3JC9WIAAbOdI

Lee Cronin at least had original ideas, and an ability to write dialog instead of making Eric so insufferable... but I digress because we now have an official time table for when we can expect this new Evil Dead movie. 2025.

Vaniček notes in the same interview, “If all goes well, we could start filming at the end of 2024-beginning of 2025, for a release that I hope for Halloween 2025.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom